Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Any advice about avoiding constipation in a preemie who is receiving formula. Any home remedies/md advice?

Baby seems to be struggling to poop. How long can he go without pooping before we should worry. What are signs to look at for and how can we avoid the situation all together? ThanksAny advice about avoiding constipation in a preemie who is receiving formula. Any home remedies/md advice?
when my daughter was born she had the same problem, i had to switch her to the soy formula,her doctor said she was to young for prunes or prune juice, so we had to use a suppository.being an infant she should poop at least 2 times a dayif it goes longer then 2 days and a supposiyory isnt helping i would set up a doctor apptAny advice about avoiding constipation in a preemie who is receiving formula. Any home remedies/md advice?
I am a mother of 7 and I consider myself kind of an expert. I would be concerned after about 24 hrs as long asa the baby is eating well. Feel the abdomen and if it feels hard or is petruding slightly then is probably constipated. It is ok to give a newborn even a preemie up to 4 ounces of water a day even though some doctors will tell you when the baby is eating they should only be consuming calories. Although the water will help.
i breastfed my preemie.. she needed all the help she could get (as do all preemies... have you considered trying to relactate?). i do know that they strongly suggest that you don't switch to soy without your dr's advice, especially when dealing with a preemie. my pediatrician recommended karo syrup, about 1/2 a teaspoon in 2-3oz bottle of expressed breast milk to help my preemie being able to void.
My sons a preemie also, I was told it was ok not to have bowel movements for up to 7 days as long as he was still passing gas.





I use Enfamil Gentlease formula as my son was having a hard time with bowel movements. He seemed to be in a lot of pain while on just regular Enfamil Lipil. After i changed to Enfamil Gentlease he seemed like he wasn't in pain anymore :)
I heard that switching to a soy formula would help. Its easier to digest then the stuff that has the cows stuff in it....and i suppose just watch for fussiness. My doctor told me that if he (my babe) was crying during or right after a feeding that that generally means hes having some kind of tummy issue. but they also told me that babies can get reflux right now and deal with alotta gas issues on formula. so watch for that stuff too?
i agree, breast milk does help, and 4 oz of water wouldn't hurt either. my niece had the same problem, and when they took her to the e.r, all they did was give her some water and wait for her to poop. babies are to have at least 7 dirty diapers a day, so after 24 hours and still no poop, i think you should see a doctor

No comments:

Post a Comment