Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I would love some advice about planting peas?

I want to grow peas in container gardens on my deck, using the lattice work decking as a place for them to climb. I want to plant a variety-english, early, snow, snap, etc. The package says to sow outdoors 8 weeks before last frost, which would be now for NC. Can I start them in jiffy pot greenhouses indoors, or should I put the jiffy pots outside after planting? Thanks for any helpI would love some advice about planting peas?
Just start inside as any other plant. If you have any green thumb talent, you'll do fine.


Unlike going from inside to out where you have to ';harden'; the plant before transplanting. You would be already started inside and have no worries about shocking the plant from climate change.. Just keep to the basics and don't over do or under do anything.


----Oh, nice touch to the desk, sweet idea!I would love some advice about planting peas?
I plant the in the ground as soon as I can work the ground





I bet they won't like transplanting
planting peas in pots I would say not,,how high is your lattice, don't forget they can grow very high,, as for the rest yes your going down the right road
Actually I would not use Jiffy Pots any peat pots are not good as peat is a low supply. But whatever you choose, peas need to be planted early and as soon as the soil can be worked. They like cooler weather and begin to flag when overheated. They can even withstand a certain amount of frost, so you don't have to worry there. I would just plant them directly in the ground. Depending upon the type you are planting, they can reach 6 feet, so have some support stakes ready for them to cling to.
If you're growing peas as ornamentals, sure put them in pots. If you intend to eat them, containers will not produce sufficient peas for a meal. Put your jiffy pots in a south window and let them do their magick.

No comments:

Post a Comment